1. Most states require Auctioneers to be licensed and bonded. The Auctioneer is required to carry a pocket card of his or her license. Make sure your choice is licensed.
2. There are Professional Associations for Auctioneers which help the Professional Auctioneer be the best they can be. These Associations offer continued education in all areas of the auction profession in addition they have a strong code of ethics that challenges the auctioneer to be honest and act with his client's best interest in mind. In Virginia we have our state association, The Virginia Auctioneer Association. Furthermore there is also the National Auctioneer Association. When you hire a person who belongs to these associations you are hiring a professional who knows how to do the job correctly and look out for your best interest.
3. Product Knowledge is very important in marketing items in today's marketplace. How can one sell an item for maximum gain if they don't know what they have, what it's worth and who to sell it to? When choosing an auctioneer to sell your possessions choose one who has product knowledge and knows the market within which the asset will be sold. They will also know how to Target Market your assets to get the most money for you.
4. Modern Technology has brought many changes to the Auctioneering profession. With the use of internet we now have Internet Timed Auctions, Simulcast Auctions where we take bids from internet buyers in real time while we are also taking bids from bidders on site where the auction is being conducted. The internet allows the auctioneer to market your assets to a world wide audience vs. a local or regional audience. The internet allows for faster and cheaper advertising that is more productive than newspapers.
5. ASK QUESTIONS. A professional auctioneer will have no problem answering all your questions and explaining how he or she can get the most for your assets. Listen to the advice he knows what he is talking about. Ask for references and follow up on them if someone can't give you references a red flag should fly in your mind. Finally ask them if you were in my position what would you do? Why? Their answer might surprise you but if they are professional they will outline the CHOICES you have to market your assets.
At High Hopes Auction & Appraisals we are serious about helping our clients reach their goals. We are Licensed, Bonded, Insured, Educated, Have Years of Experience and Product Knowledge, Use the most modern technology known to the Auction Profession and Target Market every sale. After all you deserve no less.